Monday, June 10, 2013

Mantel (Pin)spiration

House No. 3 has a really cool mantel. When we first saw the house, I got really excited for all the possibilities this mantel held. I immediately started pinning ideas, and this was one of my favorites:


I liked the idea of continuing the lantern look on the mantel, and I wanted to give it a vintage-like feel. That meant the antler sconces had to go. If your tastes lean more toward the cabin-like, rustic kind of decor, I find nothing wrong with that. I think, like all decor, it can be well done. But what the heck is up with those creepy little claw-like things coming out of the bottom? Are the antlers trying to escape? I'll be honest, they kind of terrified everyone of us. You can click on the picture to really see the detail!

I found some great sconces on clearance at Lowes (huzzah)! They perfectly fit the vintage feel I was going for, what with those awesome old-fashioned Edison light bulbs and all. I really like the way they frame in the mantel and its contents. And then I thought, what's more vintage than mercury glass and other shiny, silvery things? So I took a few things I already had and got to work. I've had that giant clock for years. It was gold in House No. 1, then I spray painted it red for House No. 2, and now silver for House No. 3. The verdict is still out as to whether I really love it or not. I'm toying with the idea of spray painting it a matte turquoise, but for now, it will remain silver. What do you think?

So that's my pinterest-inspired project for this week. Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment