Friday, June 28, 2013

Gallery Wall How-To

So I'm a big fan of photography. My sister is an excellent photographer and I try to do what she does. In this case, I let her take all the pictures, and I hung them on my wall. I love the idea of a gallery wall in the home -- especially in the family room -- where we spend a lot of our time together.

I don't claim that my way to do a gallery is perfect or even the best; but it works for me. Here's what I do:

First, I lay out all my frames on the floor and arrange them the way I want them to go on the wall. Then, I cover them with wax paper. Why the wax paper? You'll see in minute.

Next, I tape the wax paper together. Wax paper and Scotch tape don't always play nice together, but it was all I had at the time.
Then, I lay out the frames on top of the wax paper. I moved into the entry way because I needed a hard surface and my counter top wasn't big enough. I take a Sharpie and mark where the nail holes go. I also trace around the frames to give me a reference point later.
Because I have freshly painted walls and it pains me to make nail holes in those pretty walls, I use a lot of these Command Strip Picture Hangers. They are a lifesaver, wall saver, and sanity saver all in one. They make hanging pictures super easy. However, there are some things that I just feel need a nail. Like the heavier frames and the canvas.
Okay, now for the next step. I position the wax paper on the wall where I want my photo gallery to hang, and secure it with tape. Then, I turn off my ceiling fan because, well, the wax paper just wants to dance. I drive gently tap a few nails where I've made marks and then make pencil marks for the Command Strips. Then I rip the wax paper down.
After that, I hang my pictures, stand back, and admire my handiwork (after turning the ceiling fan back on, of course)!

Don't you just love that little sign? My father-in-law bought it for me, and I was so honored, I just HAD to hang it up with my gallery!

I'm planning to hang at least 1 or 2 more gallery walls in House No. 3, so I will post when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment